Re: [thredds] TDS 4.0 on RHEL5

Actually, I am just in the process of trying the same setup - TDS 4.0
on RHEL 5.3. I did not build anything from source, or use third-party
RPMS, because I am trying to use only Red-Hat-provided packages (so
that they are auto-updated by the Red Hat Network), so I am installing
Red-Hat-provided Sun Java 1.6. The JPackage RPMs conflict with the Red
Hat RPMs - if you have both repositories on a Red Hat machine, you
will get packaging conflicts with the xml-commons packages (at least I
did - YMMV). The sun-compat packages seem to have gone away, they're
not listed using yum anymore.

My install sequence was:

- - yum install jpackage-utils
- - yum install tomcat5 (40 packages!)
- - yum install java-1.6.0-sun
- - yum install java-1.6.0-sun-devel

then use /etc/alternatives commands to switch Java version from the
GCJ crap:

/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config javac

Then I had to create a /var/lib/tomcat5/content dir for THREDDS to
expand into (with tomcat ownership and permissions), an additional
symlink from /usr/share/tomcat5/content to /var/lib/tomcat5/content.

Greg

Godin, Michael wrote:
> John,
>
> I could not make TDS work with the included gcj -- but I was able to
get it to work using Sun's java6.

> However, if you want to install and use tomcat5 with sun's java6, then
you need to install xml-commons-apis, followed by  sun's java6, then the
compat package, followed by tomcat5, in that order -- and only that order.

> The compat package I mention is from
ftp://jpackage.hmdc.harvard.edu/JPackage/1.7/generic/SRPMS.non-free/