Re: [thredds] What would the ISO metadata look like?

Hi Ted/All,

The initial requirement of the GN thredds harvester is to facilitate discovery
(and provide a tool that can be built on by others) - a user should be able to
determine whether there is data that suits their requirement out there (dataset
metadata) and then where it is (services that deliver it) - lots of other
things would be nice too but these are the basic requirements for the moment
(and its more than enough)....

In the 'facilitating discovery' context and using your example below, for plain
ISO19115: we're initially going to follow the approach taken in the DIF-to-ISO
converter of placing a subset of that info into gmd:keywords. Within our own
projects and IMOS we'd like to identify the vocabulary etc that these are taken
from if available (just as the DIF-to-ISO converter writes the GCMD keyword
vocabulary into the gmd:thesaurusName element in gmd:keywords). For the BlueNet
version of the Marine Community Profile of ISO19115
(http://bluenet3.antcrc.utas.edu.au/mcp) we have an extension element (named
mcp:dataParameters) that we will use for this type of data. Future work could
look at using the gmd:MD_CoverageDescription element eg. along the lines of the
C3Grid project for gridded data.

For metadata other than the attributes/variables/parameters, we can't harvest
what isn't there, so we'll harvest whatever we can in the same way as
threddsmetadata group elements are used to produce DIF (and other metadata
schemas) in netcdf-java (though we are not requiring all elements to be there
before a harvest can occur).

I know you (and your group) have been involved in this type of work for
sometime (we've had some discussions in the GeoNetwork area too on related
stuff!) so apologies if all of the above is a bit light - I hope we can
cooperate some more on the development of the harvester Ted!

Apologies to everyone else if this is starting to stray away from thredds....

Cheers,
Simon