Re: [thredds] Thredds administration questions

Hi John,

we are currently using tomcat-users and groups and restrict data access with the 'restrictAccess' field from datasetScan.

Our main reason for having two thredds-server was flexibility. Each project could administrate thredds on their own, using the flags which suited them best, without caring about somebody else. One project even started with opendap3.0 server and then went over to thredds. And maybe the next project needs the beta of thredds 4.0.

Since we see that we will use thredds more and more, we want to be more efficient in the administration of thredds. So I think about how to do this in terms of man-power and in terms of machine-power.

Best regards,

Heiko

John Caron wrote:
Hi Heiko:

Heiko Klein wrote:
Hei,

we are currently using thredds in two project, each in a machine on it's own. We expect to have a several more thredds-projects in the near future. The projects have partly shared, partly separated data, and the access-permissions to data is generally different for each project.

are you using restricted access or tomcat security or ?

is the main problem you are trying to solve with multiple servers restricting access by different groups?

I would like to hear some experience about administration of thredds in such an environment. I can currently think of three possible solutions:

a) all data shared on a nfs-server, one thredds-server per project, configured to use the data on the server. Thredds installation should be integrated in the machine-setup, i.e. debian-packages in our case. b) one thredds server for all projects, with group-policies for each project c) one (internal) thredds server per data-pool, one thredds-server per project, configured to access the data from other each internal thredds server.

We will also need to use a thredds version which enables 'rotated latitude-longitude' data (thredds 4). Will there soon be a stable version? Or do we need to run a alpha version of thredds?

we are working on this. we dont have a release date set for 4.0, so its possible you will want to try the development version. ill announce when thats ready.

Best regards,

Heiko