[thredds] IOServiceProvider

Hi,

I have written an IOServiceProvider for a local data format which I've
tested from a standalone Java aplication.  I've plugged it into a TDS
running on my PC and I'm trying to look at a file via the OPeNDAP Data
Access Form.  This is the error I'm getting:
Error { code = -1; message = "Server Error on dataset main/test.data";
};
The Tomcat\logs\stdout confirms that my IOSP is being used and it
reaches the end of the open method before displaying the error.  There's
nothing in logs\stderr.
Any ideas where it could be going wrong?
[I'm running Tomcat 5.5, TDS 3.16 and using IE 6 to navigate the THREDDS
catalog]
Thanks,
Sheila