[THREDDS #UCC-670485]: interfacing with ArcGIS

Hi Andrew,

> Apparently the issue is actually in the data/server that I am hoping to
> access.  I was hoping to use data from the Fleet Numerical Meteorology and
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://usgodae1.usgodae.org/catalog.xml
> >
> In most other areas, once you click on a data set it opens a window where
> you can download the data in a variety of forms.  Hear, however, the data
> are listed but I cannot get to the page from which I can actually download
> it.
>
> Do you have any suggestions for how to deal with that issue?

The catalog in the above URL (http://usgodae1.usgodae.org/catalog.xml)
references data that is not being served by a THREDDS Data Server (TDS). You
aren't able to get to the dataset pages because although the catalog is a valid
THREDDS XML catalog it doesn't have everything our XML to HTML conversion
requires to display the dataset pages. Another issue is that the datasets are
only served via OPeNDAP and are therefore not available through WCS or the
netCDF subset service.

I don't know of a way around this for the netCDF subset service but there is a
way around it for WCS. I will double check on the netCDF subset service since
that is the one you are after.

In the meantime, here is the info on how you could access these datasets
through WCS. There was a discussion of it just this morning on our THREDDS
email list. It isn't in our web archive yet so I'll include the relevant text
here:

> We made an extension of the WCS Dataset URL format to allow the TDS to serve
> remote datasets. Identify the dataset by adding the parameter dataset whose
> value is a URL:
>
>  http://servername:8080/thredds/wcs?dataset=datasetURL&;

> The URL must be a dataset readable by the NetCDF-Java library, typically an
> OPeNDAP dataset on another server. It must have gridded data, with
> identifiable coordinate systems, etc. For example, an OPeNDAP URL might be
>
>  http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/data/oceanwatch/nrt/gac/AG14day.nc
>
> This can be served remotely as a WCS dataset with this URL:
>
> http://servername:8080/thredds/wcs?dataset=http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/data/oceanwatch/nrt/gac/AG14day.nc&;
>
> This is non-standard WCS; we havent emphasized this feature until we have a
> chance to review security implications. The WCS service now if off by
> default, and must explicitly be turned on in threddsConfig.xml, mostly
> because of this feature. We should probably seperately allow users to
> enable/disable "remote WCS access".

I'll let you know what I find out about the netCDF subset service.

Ethan

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: UCC-670485
Department: Support THREDDS