[THREDDS #UQT-921694]: Thredds Catalog Location

Hi David,

> I am trying to serve NetCDF files from my PC running Windows XP. I think I
> have properly followed all the pertinent instructions and installed all
> necessary software (Java, Tomcat, and Thredds) on my PC but I am still
> having some difficulty.  Specifically, I followed along at
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/GettingStarted.html
>
> When I type http://efdl.cims.nyu.edu:82/thredds/catalog.html I get a
> complaint that catlog.xml (or .html) is not found.  Where should this file
> exist and how do I create it?  Any help you can provide would be great.

Did you configure Tomcat to use port 82? I think 8080 is the default for a
default install of Tomcat. Though what port you have to use may be determined
by your local networking.

The configuration documents for TDS all reside in
${TOMCAT_HOME}/content/thredds. Some default content should have been copied in
to that directory automatically the first time you started up the TDS. So make
sure that directory exists and contains a catalog.xml file. If not you need to
make sure that the Tomcat process has permission to create and write to that
directory. I don't really know Windows users/permissions very well but I would
guess you might have to run it with administrator permissions.

Hope this helps,

Ethan

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: UQT-921694