Some general question about thredds/opendap

I'm evaluating the usage of thredds for an EU project http://www.ecmwf.int/research/EU_projects/GEMS/

I installed the 2.0 version and was able to browse some pages and see some data, but I still have some more general questions:

What are the main advantages of thredds against opendap?

I see a lot of XML files and the last s in thredds is for services: What is the relation between thredds and web-services (http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/) or REST (http://www.xfront.com/REST-Web-Services.html).

Does thredds include a opendap server (didn't manage to get that working), or is thredds just able to distribute data via an external opendap server. If yes: Is the thredds opendap server able to serve as much data as the generic opendap servers, i.e. grib,hdf4,hdf5?

What is the status of thredds (3.0?), the aggregation server and the query language to search the aggr. server?

Best regards,

Heiko

--
Dr. Heiko Klein                              Tel. + 47 22 96 33 44
Air pollution Section/Research Department    Fax. + 47 22 69 63 55