Re: Paper on OpenDAP

On Aug 12, 2005, at 8:18 AM, Glenn Rutledge wrote:

Hi Peter (Ethan?)
I have also just completed the review comments for an accepted AMS BAMS paper on NOMADS- mostly on data availability and OPeNDAP enabled client/servers-

Great, would love to see a copy of it. Well, I guess that I will since I get BAMS.

it's also a requested companion paper to the new NCEP Regional Reanalysis. I included ODC but would like to include words on new directions as per Tennessee......the TDS----is there anything I can use as a citation or at least sentence or two?

What's on the horizon in OPeNDAP land (JAMES, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NOTHING MISLEADING IN THE FOLLOWING, AND IF THERE IS CORRECT IT, thanks):

1) DAP3 - a phased release that will take place over the next 4 months of an XML version of DAP2. Specifically, the dds and das will be encoded in XML. The release will include new servers that are backward compatible, i.e., they will negotiate with the client to see what version of the DAP, XML or old style, the client handles and then return the appropriate version.

2) Server4 - a new version of the servers. These will be based on servlets as opposed to cgi scripts. Important features in the new servers:

   a) More robust,
   b) Much faster to initiate, and
   c) More secure.

They will also include THREDDS catalogs as part of the server. This will greatly facilitate, at a minimum, traversing the directory structure at a site, and, with a bit more work by the provider, finding data of interest within a site. GDS servers already make use of THREDDS catalogs so there will not be a great change for groups using these servers. We are working with COLA to make sure that our implementation of THREDDS catalogs in the new servers is compatible, to the extent possible, with the GDS catalogs.

We anticipate a release of Server4 in early 2006

3) DAP4 - an enhanced version of the DAP with a few new data types and functions. The specs for this are still being written. We would like to release this next summer.

Hope that this helps.

Peter

Regards, Glenn

Peter Cornillon wrote:

Hi Tennessee,

I assume that James will chime in with some more info re plans in the future. What I often do when looking for data is to use google. For example, a Ferret user just asked the Ferret e-mail list where he might get T/P data. I googled: topex opendap coards. Ferret feels comfortable with COARDS so I figured that if I could find his data in COARDS for available via OPeNDAP he should suck the data directly into Ferret via OPeNDAP. I found the MERSEA site right off the bat. I've used the same trick to find SST data and wind data. The work that we are currently doing to incorporate THREDDS into OPeNDAP servers as well as to upgrade our servers so that they indicate their presence on the network is aimed at the same problem. Hopefully, one can use Google or another search engine to find OPeNDAP servers and then one can crawl these sites via the THREDDS catalog. We do have a project with the UCSB Alexandria Digital Library group to work on better data discovery and I believe that they are investigating a web crawler that will look for OPeNDAP server based on some of the ideas that I have brought forward re searches via Google. Hope that this helps.

Peter

p.s. If you are interested in papers that we have published re OPeNDAP, please let me know and I will point you at them.