Re: NSDL Metadata for THREDDS dataset

Hi Ted,

One thing that would really be useful at this point is to have some examples of the specifications for your fatter metadata specifications.
From your note, it sounds like you already have FGDC specifications for
your datasets. Are those specifications available somewhere? Can I add references to your data types and the metadata specifcations to the matrix I am constructing?

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/Metadata/MetaDataNeeds.htm

Of course examples of the metadata files that actually get served up out of the database would be helpful as well. If you eventually go to ISO 19115, many of the rest of us would benefit from concrete examples of real data collections specified in that form.

Clearly the "crosswalks" you mention are crucial to THREDDS, so it would be great to have an example of one that goes from the fatter standard to the thinner ones of NSDL and DLESE.

Let me know. I'd like to build up this collection of real world metadata specs and tools as a basis for face to face discussions in the Spring.

-- Ben

Happy New Year.   Go Buffs!!