Re: [SuomiNet] Wind vectors have been added to suominet hourly data at selected stations

  • To: vanhove <vanhove@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [SuomiNet] Wind vectors have been added to suominet hourly data at selected stations
  • From: Karl Hudnut <khudnut@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:52:58 -0600 (MDT)
HI

This is good.

BTW: NOAA says there is a 60% chance of a tropical
depression forming near Hispaniola in the next 48 hours. So, maybe we can
watch this and compare with these wind vectors.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml

"Come Watson, The game is a foot!"

--
Dr. Karl Hudnut        System Administrator      UCAR - COSMIC
khudnut@xxxxxxxx    http://www.cosmic.ucar.edu    303 497 8024

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, vanhove wrote:

> *for now only the stations that have an attached met pack that records wind
> speed and direction.
>
> This is a handful of sites in the caribbean (ROA0, SAN0, GTK0, GRE0, SMRT) and
> most of the UNAVO PBO sites that I process in the western U.S.
>
> check out the new plot format by clicking on of these sites ie.  P001 in
> Arizona,  from the google front map at
> http://www.suominet.ucar.edu/index.html.
>
> The wind and rain data are also in the netcdf and ascii files for the hourly
> solutions
>
> in /www/suominet/data/pwvConusHourly and ncConusHourly.
>
> New staYrHr files  with the wind and rain fields are in
> /www/suominet/data/staYrHr/
>
> look for GTK0nrt_2010.plot to get files with wind and rain data, --these files
> have a calendar date as well
>
> ie GTK0 2010-07-20T19:45  in the *.plot files versus 201.82282  in the *.plt
> files.     The new GMT plotting software prefers the calendar dates.
>
> Fields in *.plot files are STAT  yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm  pwv[mm] ErrTerm[mm]
> Wdelay[mm] TZdelay[mm] Kfac, press[mb] temp[c] RH[%] Ddelay[mm] wspeed
> [meters/sec]  wdir  and rain in the 30 minute window in 0.1 mm
>
> Email me with any problem reports
>
> Cheers,
> Teresa
>

> **Wind is in vectors not wind barbs --I could not get wind bards figured out.
> If someone has a code snippet for plotting wind barbs versus time  in GMT4 and
> would like to share it feel free to email me.  The only reward would be your
> name on the web page and plots that look more like traditional weather plots.
>

> --
> Teresa Van Hove
> Associate Scientist COSMIC/UCAR
> vanhove@xxxxxxxx