Re: [python-users] Displaying GOES in mercator projection

  • To: "Weber, Jim" <Jim.Weber@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [python-users] Displaying GOES in mercator projection
  • From: Ryan May <rmay@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 12:53:00 -0700
Hi Jim

So when you type:

    ax.set_extent([-135, -60, 10, 65], crs=ccrs.Mercator())

You are telling cartopy "set the extents of the axes to a box with lower
left corner (-135, 10) and upper right corner (-60, 65); those points are
native coordinates in the Mercator() projection". You essentially specified
a 75m x 55m box. To plot with Mercator you want:

    # Tell cartopy the axes we're plotting on should be in Mercator
    ax = fig.add_subplot(1, 1, 1, projection=Mercator())
    # Specify the extent as lat/lon
    ax.set_extent([-135, -60, 10, 65], crs=ccrs.PlateCarree())

Hope this helps!

Ryan