Re: [python-users] Artifacts in Channel 3 GOES 16 imagery

  • To: Ryan May <rmay@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [python-users] Artifacts in Channel 3 GOES 16 imagery
  • From: "Weber, Jim" <Jim.Weber@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:46:27 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=fox.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=fox.com; dkim=pass header.d=fox.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=GGCeOLFkTqG4P6Lk8KY0dEOQ6MUlW7O3qFh7VV6yer4=; b=TGQJTxJl7cqNn2Y1+tZHqMTLpDnzdh/P34LiGsY9or21C8SUZi42KkbUJXDh1mz9aQHH88KRZy2DdRThLYwHKh6Obd4OrFTZejJD0YkBGMMvgrFRk2DuAx2ZV2JzorSFN7+v6TqP/Xq4qWg7LTwW2pD1Jw7/ixzb75HMhvUGFw4kxB2i/V3OFhxQfgW0CSf9kk4uTNIl2gnNMYUsV3YDtHEk4kmZTJ/uYMO+Vm/eqROrbIYi0HCGr2g5hnDvlyhBNO9PTFhaFRWQiOESZKgrXQQVr5euKtlTH4rmOiBQvrgYrlT6fG2iQJKPQ40EUurFlR961MeSXitymzGWNNPtbg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=QlXF2h2Cglh2Hy/LrC80FL2YEl8BmnFaJY9AjnRp+fbdStOOopuoKuZBdfgY3NnNUxXNvx+qa/Wo7eIbG/k64Duf89PGpsUgfwZunWlBek+mB5+v4sm+574Mrs2N41+NjlyTOt4lh/HGfhtWpn3TyEVhVy3sID0H773aPuaXsh/b0Y7Ib06nIxSzymoMc6C3N69OCkPexWbuDCSeqcJitnahFtSqkeO0wHx0kGDATY6lOhDaDnMyidtUPnYetB8F6ueRHh/cxZ6jfCsP6Ay/k7TtcK0Tn8hkewucjRFSdSQQxE9RMY9MccFlWz/z8n7vleyL1DT5qhR+D6VyRWtapw==
Hello all,

I just wanted to circle back and give a thanks to the help I received on this
issue.  I also wanted to report back what I have found so that others might
benefit should they run into similar issues in the future.

The issue was getting GOES imagery via NOAAPORT and then displaying that data
using metpy/mathplotlib. Specifically, I am talking about the SCMI L2 data.
There are speckles or artifacts in the imagery. After working with some of the
folks at Unidata the root cause was discovered. That being the FillValue is set
to zero in the SCMI files. The issue is that setting the value to zero makes
any bad data set to zero which is also inside the valid range of data. The data
needs to stay outside of the valid range. The easiest work around and what made
the most sense was to change what the FillValue is as to not alter the data. I
used a utility called ncatted to set the FillValue = NaN. Therefore, when
reading imagery files, the bad data was not shifted into a valid range and any
display software would now treat it correctly and not attempt to display the
data.

Jim Weber