[python-users] My first approach: I'm looking for reference's documents & links about migrate from Gempak to Python MetPy // files and reading format

  • To: python-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [python-users] My first approach: I'm looking for reference's documents & links about migrate from Gempak to Python MetPy // files and reading format
  • From: banco <banco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 11:42:49 -0300
Good morning!!

I am a Gempak user. And I would like to use Python MetPy
environment too. At  the  beginning, if possible, the aim
is to have both softwares working.

I would appreciate if someone knows how, in Python environment,:

1) if a file is read (Synop data for instance) in Gempak's
scripts, using sfmap, in this way:

   sfmap << EOF
          SFPARM   = skyc:.4;tmpc;wsym:.7;ALTM;;dwpc;brbk:.8::212
          SFFILE   = /data/ldm/gempak/surface/20210607_sao.gem

How would the equivalent in a Python MetPy environment be?

At this url, GEMPAK Comparison Guide,
https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/userguide/gempak.html
this sfmap's GEMPAK Function (Python/MetPy Equilvalent) has its
row empty.

2) On the other hand, in a context of acquiring files data from LDM, what kind of
which file format should be used to read them in a Pyhon Metpy
environment?

** The name and extension of the file is different? Does this mean
one has to change LDM configuration?

** Is this different than reading from THREDDS Data Server? Isn't it?
https://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/noaaport/text/metar/catalog.html

I have been looking for files or videos on YouTube on the
subject but by the time being I cannot find these subjects.

Is it somewhere on this website(about userguide)?
https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/userguide/index.html

Any help is welcome: any link, website's page, Unidata's video, etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Gustav Pittaluga

Department of Atmospheric Sciences