From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele.varrazzo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 8:24 AM
Subject: psycopg3 funding
To: Del Vento <ddvento@xxxxxxxx>

Hello,

I hope you don't mind the direct message and hope that you and your
family are well despite what's happening in the world right now.

My name is Daniele Varrazzo and I have been maintaining psycopg2 for
the past 10 years. During this time the project has become the
standard PostgreSQL adapter for the Python programming language,
thanks to its reliability, performance, and rich feature set.

I have recently started working on a new implementation of the
adapter: psycopg3. This new version will improve several aspects of
the previous implementation in both usability and performance. Some of
the highlights include:

 - native asynchronous support;
 - binary parameters/results;
 - no installation dependencies (development tools, compiler);
 - support for prepared statements;
 - COPY supporting native Python objects.

I have an initial write-up explaining the reasons for the changes,
which you can read at
https://www.varrazzo.com/blog/2020/03/06/thinking-psycopg3/ together
with a few follow-ups, which can be found by following the #psycopg
tag in my blog.

I have been thinking about this rewrite for a long time and and now is
the time in which I can implement the project to make it available to
the Python and PostgreSQL community. I have set up a sponsorship page,
which you can find at https://github.com/sponsors/dvarrazzo/ Funding
the project would ensure speedy completion with the attention to the
detail required to create a driver as dependable as everyone expects.

Several companies have built their success on Python and PostgreSQL.
The majority of them have utilised psycopg2, which acted as the quiet
middleman, allowing seamless communication between the two data
models.

I am excited to deliver the next generation of the driver and count on
your generosity to make the project successful. Should you require any
further information, please feel free to get in touch anytime.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Kind regards

Daniele

Daniele
  • Search the python-users archives: