[python-users] Unidata @ Python: March

Hi,

A little late, but here's what went on in March in the world of Python at
Unidata:

-- Regional Python Workshop in Norman, OK --
We will be in Norman, OK (at the National Weather Center) putting on a
Python workshop April 27 - 28 (plus a hackathon on the 29th). Registration
closes on the 20th. For more information, see:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/python-
focused-software-training-workshop

For the workshop materials, visit:

https://unidata.github.io/unidata-python-workshop/events/oklahoma2017.html

We've been hard at work refreshing our workshop notebooks, so even if
you've seen them before, there's new stuff to be found if you take a look.

-- Updated MetPy Documentation --
The documentation for MetPy has seen some updates:

- API documentation now links to relevant examples
- Plot documentation includes images of all color tables and available
weather symbols

https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/

MetPy also now has a new logo. If you come find us at a workshop or a
conference, you can even get yourself a sweet MetPy laptop sticker!

-- GOES16 --
With the advent of GOES-16, the Python team has been hard at work making
use of the new data. We currently have re-assembled the individual tiles
into complete files on our test THREDDS server:

http://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/
satellite/goes16/catalog.html

We also have a Python script to do the assembly available here:

https://github.com/Unidata/ldm-alchemy

(look at goes-restitch.py) This runs only on Python 3.6. (Use at your own
risk.)

The LDM configuration running the script is here:

https://github.com/Unidata/TdsConfig/blob/master/threddsDev/pqacts/pqact.
satellite

We're also using the GOES-16 data in our workshop:

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/Unidata/unidata-python-workshop/blob/master/notebooks/Working%20with%20Satellite%20Data.ipynb

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/Unidata/unidata-python-
workshop/blob/master/notebooks/GOES_RGB_Demo/GOES_RGB_Image.ipynb

-- MetPy Podcast Episode --
Lastly, Ryan May, John Leeman, and Sean Arms were on the 100th episode of
the Python-themed podcast, Podcast.__init__ to talk about MetPy, Python,
and the challenges of meteorology. Give it a listen here:

https://www.podcastinit.com/episode-100-metpy-with-ryan-may-sean-arms-and-john-leeman/

As always, we welcome your questions and feedback.

Until next time,

Ryan

--
Ryan May, Ph.D.