Re: [python-users] error importing netCDF into anaconda

  • To: "Chasteen, Manda B." <manda.chasteen@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [python-users] error importing netCDF into anaconda
  • From: Ryan May <rmay@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 14:25:12 -0700
Manda,

Sorry that your first experience with Python was so troublesome--it's
usually much simpler. Apologies on the delay, it's taken me a bit to get to
the bottom of this. It also looks like Continuum has uploaded new netCDF4
packages today (Feb 14th), probably to address this exact problem.

For future reference, I usually use conda environments to work around some
of these problems and to give me a sandbox I can readily throw away if
something goes wrong. I also use the conda-forge channel to work around
some of the limitations--at least in that case I can say that we have input
into the package build (whereas we can't do anything about Continuum's
netcdf4 build). So to address your original problem, my solution would be:

    # Add conda-forge to the top of the list of channels to search for
pacakges
    conda config --add channels conda-forge

    # Create a new environment "class" with Python 3.6--we'll install only
what we want
    conda create -n class python=3.6

    # Activate the environment--you'll need to do this in any new terminal
window you want to use this Python environment from
    source activate class

    # Install packages we want
    conda install numpy scipy matplotlib metpy jupyter

Happy to hear that you did manage to get things working. Please get in
touch if you run into any other problems.

Ryan