Re: [noaaport] [ldm-users] Is anyone seeing any data on Galaxy 31

  • To: "Sebenste, Gilbert" <sebensteg@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [noaaport] [ldm-users] Is anyone seeing any data on Galaxy 31
  • From: Mike Zuranski <mzuranski@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 15:56:49 -0600
Hi Gilbert, and other LDM/NPers,

For reference, here's the latest SCN regarding the SBN transition:
https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/pdf_2023_24/scn22-77_sbn_galaxy31_change_aaa.pdf

>From that here is the latest timeline:
12 NOV 2022: G31 Launch Date
 5 FEB 2023: Dual Illumination Period
10 FEB 2023: Receive Site Transition Window Start
31 MAR 2023: Receive Site Transition Window Ends
 3 APR 2023: AWIPS Transition to G31 Complete

I reached out to the two contacts on that SCN and just heard back.  While
the dual illumination period begins today, data will not be transmitted
until the 10th; they referenced the "Receive Site Transition Window Start"
line from the SCN.  They also said that data may intermittently be seen
between now and then as they test things, but advised not to transition
until after the 10th.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but if you already moved the dish at least it
won't be too long before 31 stays lit up.

-Mike

*Mike Zuranski*
Data Engineer II
Unidata Program Center