Re: [netcdfgroup] Quantize Support in netCDF-Fortran: Only Bit Groom possible?

Hi Matt,

> So I was wondering: Is there a fundamental Fortran reason for not supporting the other two variants? Or perhaps, is it that, of the three variants, Bit Groom is by far the one people should use, so that's what was exposed by the Fortran interface?

Great question. No fundamental reason.
All three quantization methods are
intended to be in the netCDF Fortran library via
the same API as BitGroom.
I'm unsure about the status of Granular BitRound
and BitRound in the latest Fortran release.
Others can chime in about that.
When all three are available in your Fortran
library, I recommend using either Granular BitRound
(with number of significant digits) or BitRound
(with number of stored bits). They both yield
better compression than BitGroom, as shown here:

https://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.html#fgr_003aqnt_005fcr_005fzst

Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(