Re: [netcdfgroup] conversion latlon to united states in netcdf file

Hi Steppe.  Get outline shapefiles for the area(s) that you want to study.
These are readily available on line for countries, states, and major
regions such as the lower 48 US states (AKA CONUS).  There are also
shapefile libraries for other geographic definitions, such as hydrologic
basins.  It is also fairly easy to make your own custom shapefiles with GIS
tools.

Then use these shapefiles to accurately select subsets of grid points from
your GCM files.  Then you can easily perform grid point averaging and other
statistics on the area(s) of interest.  Shapefile support functions are
available in most modern computer languages that have geographic
functionality.

I favor NCL for this purpose.  But if you are familiar with something like
Python, Matlab, or R, look for shapefile capability there first.