[netcdfgroup] Announcement: procedural generation of datasets with Lua

happy to announce the first release of HDF5-UDF: user-defined-functions for
HDF5 (and NetCDF4, by extension). The project enables the embedding of Lua
scripts in HDF5 so that users can programmatically define a dataset whose data
is generated on-the-fly each time that dataset is read.</p>
space used by datasets that are a variation of existing data. We have
successfully used HDF-UDF to virtually eliminate the impact of derived data in
a number of use cases; grids that used to take a few gigabytes on disk,
uncompressed, now require just a couple of kilobytes.</p>
LuaJIT executes when the dataset is read by the application. Through
Just-In-Time compilation the overhead of virtualization is barely noticed:
outputting grids that have no dependency on existing datasets can be an order
of magnitude faster than reaching out to disk for I/O.</p>
needed to applications that read from NetCDF4 files.</div>
>https://github.com/lucasvr/hdf5-udf</a></div>
find it as useful as we do.</div>