[netcdfgroup] Specification for NC_64BIT_DATA format

The documentation for netCDF4-Python writes:
'NETCDF3_64BIT_DATA' is the 64-bit data version of the netCDF 3 file
format, which supports 64-bit dimension sizes plus unsigned and 64 bit
integer data types, but is only compatible with clients linked against
netCDF version 4.4.0 or later.

This seems generally useful, so I'm interested in implementing support for
this format in the netCDF3 module included in SciPy:
http://scipy.github.io/devdocs/generated/scipy.io.netcdf_file.html

However, I can't seem to find a description of this format in the netCDF
file format specification:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/file_format_specifications.html

Is a full specification for this variation available somewhere? If not, I
would encourage updating the specifications doc. One of the strengths of
netCDF (especially netCDF3) is that it is clearly specified and has
multiple independent implementations :).

Cheers,
Stephan