[netcdfgroup] Renaming FMRC 'run' dimension

Currently, I use FMRC via featureCollection XML files to aggregate datasets
with different runtimes (these datasets are themselves NCML aggregations of .nc
files).  When opening such a featureCollection in java, I get a dataset that
that has dimension variable named 'run'  for the different run times, and
everything works beautifully.   I need to be able to change the name of this
'run' dimension to something else in order to retain compatibility with some
customers.  Reading FMRC documentation leads me to believe that using a
dimension element in the prototypeDataset element of the collection should
rename  the dimension, but it does not.

What is the correct way to change the name of the model run time dimension in a
FMRC?