[netcdfgroup] storing data in attributes

Hello,

How bad of an idea is it to store data in attributes?
I want to store settings (metadata) containing 600+ key value pairs.
These settings may change in time, though infrequently and they don't need to
be read often.

I could store them as attributes with a key and a 1D array of values, which has
the advantage that I have all the metadata within the .nc file.
In an extreme case the array will grow to a thousand entries.
Alternatively I would store the settings history in a separate text file.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated,

Regards,
Torben