[netcdfgroup] nc4 file variable creation order question

Netcdf Gurus,

This is I think a simple question, but I want to make sure I know the reason. Namely, diagnostic output in our model seems to always be written in alphabetical order even if, I think[1], the nf90_def_var calls are not done in alphabetical order (because the HISTORY files that define the collections do not have the variables in order, and we just iterate over those names).

Now, we are using a netCDF that was built against HDF5 1.8.x (even with --enable-parallel, but these files are not open/created with _PAR). Is it because of that that we get alphabetical order, because of statements I see like:

Without creation order in the HDF5 file, the files will still be readable to
netCDF-4, it's just that netCDF-4 will number the variables in alphabetical,
rather than creation, order.

in the docs?

Just a puzzle I'm wondering about.

Matt

[1] Note: I *think* they are not sorted in the Fortran code. I see nothing saying to do so. This is not code I maintain.

--
Matt Thompson, SSAI, Sr Scientific Programmer/Analyst
NASA GSFC,    Global Modeling and Assimilation Office