Re: [netcdfgroup] HFD errors when updating netCDF4 files

Let me make sure I understand. That counter is an HDF5 limitation,
correct?
=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

On 1/26/2017 3:46 PM, Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
All,

We traced this problem to a known bug.  In NetCDF-4, the number of times
an attribute can be modified over the life of a file is currently
limited by the per-variable HDF5 attribute creation index.  This is a
16-bit counter with maximum value 65535.

This becomes a problem for data sets with attributes that are updated
frequently.  At the NetCDF user level, the problem shows as return
status -107, or "NetCDF: Can't open HDF5 attribute", as reported below
by Cathy Smith.

Please see this Github issue for more details.  Thanks to Constantine
Khroulev for a great analysis, as well as previous reporters Heiko Klein
and Andrey Paramonov (HDF forum).

    https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/issues/350

We look forward to some kind of fix at the NetCDF or HDF5 level.

--Dave A.
NOAA/ESRL/PSD/CIRES

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Cathy Smith (NOAA Affiliate)