Re: [netcdfgroup] slow reads in 4.4.1.1 vs 4.1.3 for some files

Dear Christopher,
HDF5 does provide a chunk cache, but I presume in this case it is
simply too small to fit.
You can imagine if you increase the number of columns further at some
point the 2D chunks will exceed (any) sized cache.
This is however, suboptimal in that case as ncdump outputs row after row.

One way to fix this would be to adjust ncdump to increase the chunk
cache to a reasonable amount of main memory, potentially offering
users a way to influence this value from command line.
See https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5P.html#Property-SetChunkCache

There is quite a good doku here about general aspects of Chunking:
https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/Advanced/Chunking/

Julian