Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF external links

There's been a proposal under CF for a similar construct, with lots of discussion and objections, related to exactly the issue of the dataset becoming useless if the associated file is missing.

http://cf-trac.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/145

The point is made there, that there are already plenty of "datasets" that are in practice stored in multiple files, such as individual timesteps, or different data fields that are stored separately. In those cases, the files are valid files in and of themselves, but the model run, or whatever it is, is contained in multiple files.

These kinds of proposals go further by storing dimension variables or other information related to the grid in different files. Now if the separately-stored information is missing or gets moved, interpreting the file contents becomes impossible.

-Ansley