From: Elizabeth A. Fischer <elizabeth.fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 09 May 2016 13:46
To: Matthew Jones
Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] Fw: Profiling NetCDF4-python

I would expect most of the time to be taken up in the NetCDF-C library, not the
Python code.

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 6:35 AM, Matthew Jones
<M.Jones3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:M.Jones3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi

I am trying to profile my NetCDF4-python code to see how to improve read
performance, which I have identified as the bottleneck. I have done this using
kcachegrind and line_profiler.

I want to delve a bit deeper into the library to see where the performance is
dropping. I can't work out how to use line_profiler with the @profile decorator
in the variable class. I also can't work out how to get kcachegrind to delve
into the library because the slicing syntax var[...] is not an explicit
function call, and I can't get var.__getitem__() to do the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could get more information from profiling the
netcdf4 library?

Many thanks

Matt

Matthew Jones