[netcdfgroup] HDF5 Virtual Files

Hi All:

I have a question to the group and a question for the developers.

For the group - has anyone played around with the virtual files in HDF5 1.10?
Is so, I would be interested how well they work.  I am not certain exactly how
one would do this, but I would be really interested in comparing speeds of
aggregation using the virtual file feature compared to that of THREDDS.  The
obvious thing I am after is whether in the long run it will be preferable to
let HDF5  (or a netcdf4 interface built on it) to do the aggregation and pass
TDS a single “file” or still let TDS do aggregation of separate files.

For netcdf developers - From previous emails it seemed clear that you are
working on adding support for HDF5 1.0 in the netcdf4 C libraries, but will the
netcdf-java libraries be modified to read the new format and take advantage of
some of the new features?

Thanks for any info.

-Roy

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst