Re: [netcdfgroup] Unexpectedly large netCDF4 files from python

You might check the ChunkSizes attribute with 'ncdump -hs'. The newer netcdf
sets larger default chunks than it used to. I had this issue with 1-d variables
that used an unlimited dimension. Even if the dimension only had a small
number, the default chunk made it much bigger. (Assuming the variable is not
compressed.)

-- Ted