[netcdfgroup] Anyone interested in netCDF on mobile platforms? (was: Re: anyone interested in netCDF on Android?)

  • To: Antonio Rodriges <antonio.rrz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [netcdfgroup] Anyone interested in netCDF on mobile platforms? (was: Re: anyone interested in netCDF on Android?)
  • From: Ed Hartnett <edwardjameshartnett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:02:55 -0400
Howdy Antonio!

Thanks for asking, because it caused me to realize that the same is true
for iOS. So I will rephrase my question and ask:

Who else is interested in netCDF on mobile devices?

Mobile devices are penetrating markets rapidly, growing in power and screen
size, and decreasing cost. For many programmers in the 21st Century, an
inexpensive Android device may be both first computer and first development
platform.

Mobile apps have already transformed many industries, bringing new
capabilities and efficiency. Science data processing will also benefit from
mobile devices. Scientists will be able to see and interact with their data
in new ways.

But the mobile programming world is quite distinct from the desktop world.
What seems trivial to a desktop programmer may be unknown to a mobile
programmer, or vastly changed by the unique requirements of the mobile
platform.

I would like to gather mobile efforts a little to ensure that the libraries
are well-supported in the mobile sphere, and also continue to remain free
and open software. I would also like to start porting some programs, to
help demonstrate how mobile software might benefit the science community.

Thanks!
Ed