[netcdfgroup] netcdf fortran configure fail on sizeof

I'm trying to configure/compile the netcdf-fortran-4 on an AMD/Redhat Linux
system, and 4.2, 4.4.0, 4.4.2 all are having a problem with configure. No
problem with the netcdf-c (e.g., netcdf-c-4.3.1.1). It is failing on the
"sizeof" tests, where an extra set of parentheses is getting put around the
test variable (e.g., _Bool, off_t, etc.) so that the compile of conftest.c
fails because it has

  if (sizeof ((_Bool)))

when it should be

  if (sizeof (_Bool))

The netcdf-c does exactly the same test, but apparently does not add the
extraneous parentheses. I'm using Portland Group 10.8 (it's an older AMD
system: Linux alpha 2.6.18-398.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 12 06:26:17 EDT 2014 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

I suppose this is some kind of autoconf issue?

-- Ted