[netcdfgroup] Problem writing larger array.

I'm running into an issue while writing to a netCDF4 file.  (Using netCDF
4.2 library).

I'm writing a variable called Land_Ocean_Flag_6_to_36

The cdl file is defined as such

dimensions:
   Number_of_Scans = unlimited;
   Number_of_low_rez_FOVs = 243;
   Number_of_low_rez_channels = 6;

variables:
   short    Land_Ocean_Flag_6_to_36(Number_of_low_rez_channels,
Number_of_Scans, Number_of_low_rez_FOVs);
            Land_Ocean_Flag_6_to_36:long_name = "Land_Ocean Flag 6 to 36";
            Land_Ocean_Flag_6_to_36:units = "%";
            Land_Ocean_Flag_6_to_36:coordinates = "Scan_Time
Latitude_of_Observation_Point_for_avg
Longitude_of_Observation_Point_for_avg" ;
            Land_Ocean_Flag_6_to_36:scale_factor = 1.0d;
            Land_Ocean_Flag_6_to_36:add_offset = 0.0d;
            Land_Ocean_Flag_6_to_36:_FillValue = -9999;

When I run the code on a half orbit file where Number_of_Scans ends up
being 2024, I have no problem writing the data.  However when I use the
same code on a full orbit file where Number_of_Scans ends up being 3960, I
get a segmentation default.

When I trace the path in a debugger, it appears to be having trouble in the
function nf_put_vara_int.  But I can't figure out why, as everything going
into that function looks right.  So it seems that maybe I'm running into a
max array size issue or something?  Is this a known issue?  Does anybody
know away around it?  5,773,680 doesn't seem like it should be too big.  We
have other codes that deal with much larger datasets.  But that is the only
difference I can see between the files that work and the files that don't.

If you've seen a similar issue and have any advice or suggestions, your
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tish Soulliard

NOAA/NESDIS/STAR