Re: [netcdfgroup] 64-bit build with Snow Leopard?

Fabrício Zimmerer wrote:
> it looks like you are using x-code stuff... I think they are quite broken to
> compile NetCDF.

The netCDF C distributions, such as the recent 4.3.0 release, work with
XCode compilers in our tests.  However, getting a Fortran compiler that
works with the XCode C compiler can be tricky.

> You might try to upgrade your compiler and autoconf/automake using the
> MacPorts, that is an independent implementation (not official to osx)
> similar to 'apt-get', 'emerge', 'yum', 'yast', to install latest version of
> software to your MAC.
>
> It is available at www.macports.org.
> A friend was only able to compile NetCDF (4.2.x) once he used MacPorts to
> upgrade his compiling environment. The sequence is to install X-Code to get
> initial compiling environment, and then upgrade the compiler, make, some
> libraries already present from MacPorts as needed, and then compile NetCDF.

I second Fabrício Zimmerer's recommendation to use macports.  The netCDF
C version 4.2.1.1 and netCDF Fortran version 4.2 software can be
installed by using macports to build and install the "netcdf-fortran"
package, which also installs gcc-4.7 and gfortran-4.7, if necessary.
These don't overwrite the XCode C compiler, so won't interfere with the
OSX development environment.

Thanks to Takeshi Horinouchi for maintaining the macports netCDF
package.

--Russ