[netcdfgroup] read grib via netcdf C API?

I see that the netcdf-java API can read GRIB data, which produces nice
capabilities like the ability to read GRIB into Panoply and (I presume?) TDS.

Does the netCDF C API have this capability?  (I guess I'm hoping to sneak GRIB
capability into C/C++ based tools like nco and Hyrax through the API back door,
so to speak.)

If not, any plans to add this to the C API?
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185