Re: [netcdfgroup] better to distribute data in netCDF-4/classic or netcdf-3?

On 8/16/12 5:19 AM, pavel.michna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for highlighting that there are different netCDF interface packages in
R. I was more focused on the version 3 versus 4 issue and was not aware to be
unclear concerning the R-interfaces. My statement from 12 Aug is related to the
RNetCDF package (however the conclusions remain the same).

Regards,
Pavel

I'll cast my vote (along with Rich) for netcdf4-classic (netcdf4 format using the 'classic model' API). It may require users to upgrade to a newer version of their favorite analysis tool, but it's really pretty painless. They won't have to change any code, and you get smaller file sizes (with compression) and faster IO (without compression) for free.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449