Re: [netcdfgroup] File size, unlimited dimensions, compression and chunks

Hi Ross:

from

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-c/nc_005fdef_005fvar_005fchunking.html#nc_005fdef_005fvar_005fchunking

"Variables that make use of one or more unlimited dimensions, compression, or checksums must use chunking. Such variables are created with default chunk sizes of 1 for each unlimited dimension and the dimension length for other dimensions, except that if the resulting chunks are too large, the default chunk sizes for non-record dimensions are reduced."

So you are putting each value in each variable in its own chunk. Thats got a lot of overhead.

You want to set the chunk size explicitly, using the call:

     int nc_def_var_chunking(int ncid, int varid, int storage, size_t
*chunksizesp);

(note that you must do that on each variable). Experiment with the size. 100 might solve the problem but 900 might be better.

Also, you might consider using Compound types instead of Groups.
Also, I dont see the fast_reg dimension used below.

John