[netcdfgroup] ncap2 convert type double to float problem

Hi all, first post here. Let me first say that I have reviewed forums
and this mailing list... this exchange follows what I am trying to do,
unfortunately I am not having luck with the suggestion.

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2010/msg00370.html

So here is my issue:

I am trying to convert a variable stored as a double to a float in the
interest of reducing the ncdf file size. I think this should work:

ncap2 -s 'bphs=float(bphs)' bphs.cdf test.cdf

...but I'm returned errors:

nco_err_exit(): ERROR Short NCO-generated message (usually name of
function that triggered error): nco_def_var_chunking()
nco_err_exit(): ERROR Error code is 1. Translation into English with
nc_strerror(1) is "Operation not permitted"
nco_err_exit(): ERROR NCO will now exit with system call exit(EXIT_FAILURE)

Here is a dump of the file:

ncdump -h bphs.cdf
netcdf bphs {
dimensions:
 latitude = 4994 ;
 longitude = 5073 ;
variables:
 double latitude(latitude) ;
  latitude:units = "degreesN" ;
 double longitude(longitude) ;
  longitude:units = "degreesE" ;
 double bphs(latitude, longitude) ;
  bphs:units = "meters" ;
}

I am running ubuntu 10.0.4 server and just pulled down ncap2 from apt-get.

I am able to convert the double to float by using ncdump > tmp, edit
tmp changing double to float, ncgen new tmp, but that is considerably
more tedious.

Thanks for any help offered!

--
Skylar Lyon, Systems Engineer