Re: [netcdfgroup] Type conversion when writing netCDF

  • To: Jennifer Adams <jma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] Type conversion when writing netCDF
  • From: Ed Hartnett <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:45:17 -0700
Jennifer Adams <jma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> That's great! Does the library use a chunk of memory to do this? If my
> array of doubles is very large, say 20Gb, and I'm running on a system with
> 24GB of memory, will it work?
> --Jennifer
> On Nov 29, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Jim Edwards wrote:

Memory will be allocated, but only enough to convert data for each
nc_put_vara call. So if you are writing 1 MB of values at a time, it
will allocated 1 MB at a time to convert, and free that 1 MB after the
write operation is complete.

So it doesn't matter how large your variables are, only how much you try
and write at one time.

Thanks,

Ed
--