Re: [netcdfgroup] how to tell if a hdf5 is netcdf

Upendra,

>   Thank you! Is there anything in the file itself to tell that it is
> netcdf4? How does ncdump know that it is netcdf4?
> Upendra

The function nc_inq_format, documented here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-c.html#nc_005finq-Family

returns a value indicating the netCDF format variant of the file.

Also if you use

  ncdump -s filename

the output includes a virtual global attribute, "_Format", that
specifies what type the file is.  The "-s" option is intended to

  ... provide performance-related information about the file format and
  variable properties for netCDF-4 data.  These special virtual
  attributes are not actually part of the data, they are merely a
  convenient way to display miscellaneous properties of the data in CDL
  (and eventually NcML).  They include `_ChunkSizes', `_DeflateLevel',
  `_Endianness', `_Fletcher32', `_Format', `_NoFill', `_Shuffle', and
  `_Storage'.

--Russ