[netcdfgroup] netcdf-4.1.2-beta1 release available...

Please try the new 4.1.2-beta1 release of the netCDF C/Fortran
libraries. The 4.1.2 release contains bug fixes and internal
refactoring.

Users of parallel I/O with netCDF-4 please note: starting with the
4.1.2-beta1 release the parallel I/O functions are prototyped in
netcdf_par.h, not netcdf.h. You must include netcdf_par.h BEFORE
netcdf.h to use parallel I/O with netCDF-4.

This release contains the following:

    * Modified opendap constraint parser to be more compatible with a
      java version of the parser.
    * Modified ncgen to utilize iterators internally; should be no user
      visible effect.
    * An internal refactoring of the C library allows for easier
      maintainance and extension of the netCDF library. This
      restructuring of the library code is invisible to the
      end-user. Two new directories have been added to the netCDF build:
      libdispatch, which decides whether to call a netcdf classic,
      netcdf-4, or opendap version of each function in the API, and
      liblib, where, depending on the configure choices, the final
      netCDF library is assembled from convenience libraries created in
      other directories.
    * Fix for make bug which caused documentation to be unnecessarily
      rebuilt after make clean.
    * Fix for bug in accessing a multidimensional variable with more
      than 4 billion values on a 32-bit platform.
    * Fix for memory performance problems in parallel I/O. The automatic
      use of HDF5 buffers in parallel programs with netCDF-4 resulted in
      large memory use.
    * Fix netCDF-4 bug caused when doing enddef/redef and then defining
      coordinate variable out of order.
    * Refactoring of netCDF-4 internals to reduce memory use and end
      dependence on size of NC_MAX_DIMS and NC_MAX_NAME.
    * Fix "ncdump -c" bug identifying coordinate variables in groups.
    * Fix bug in libsrc/posixio.c when providing sizehint larger than
      default, which then doesn't get used (thanks to Harald Anlauf).
    * The netCDF C/Fortran/C++ source code has been moved to Unidata's
      subversion server. Interested users can now examine the netCDF
      code in its full glory and gory internals at
      http://sub.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf.
    * Documentation improvements, especially relating to creating
      netCDF-4 compatible files with HDF5 only.

The 4.1.2-beta1 release source code is available from the following
URL. ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.2-beta1.tar.gz or
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.2-beta1.tar.Z

Build it according to these instructions:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install.html#Quick-Instructions

Report problems to the support email address:
support-netcdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx