Re: [netcdfgroup] netCDF software for analysing NCAR reanalysis atlas

Hi Jakub,
The FAQ Russ describes several resources including a link to a list of "Software for Manipulating or Displaying netCDF Data". One of these programs is Ferret; and I'd just like to show you the simple commands you'd need to extract your data. If the data were on an OpeNDAP server, you could open it directly, but this is on an Ftp server, so after downloading it, here are commands to open the dataset and list the subset of data you want.

   % ferret
   yes? use hgt.2010.nc
   yes? LIST hgt[Z=850,x=30:33,y=50:52,t=1-mar-2010]

Ferret can be found at http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/ and also does analysis and graphics on netCDF data.

Ansley

Russ Rew wrote:
Hi Jakub,

I am beginner to netCDF and looking for netCDF software to analyse
NCEP/ NCAR reanalysis data such as
ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis.dailyavgs/pressure/hgt.2010.nc
for scientific project of weather forecasting. I am looking for
software that convert selected data to text - for example hgt data on
level 850, lat 50 to 52, lon 30 to 33 and any time. nc2text have this
functionality, but I can use it to retrieve 4-dimentions data. What
software do you reccomend to do it?

We have recently added an answer to this question to our Frequently
Asked Questions list

  How do I convert netCDF data to ASCII or text?
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#converttotext

referencing various ways to get a text view of netCDF data.  Please let
us know if this still doesn't answer your question.

--Russ