Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF installation issues

Hi Jenny:

You failed on the configure, so nothing happens after that.  The problem is
arising because Apple itself does not support gfortran, and there are
incompatibilities between the Apple supplied gcc and many versions of gfortran.
 There are several work arounds, it would help if I knew what verison of the
operating system you have, what version of gcc  (do gcc ---version)  and where
you got the gfortran you have.

I have gotten all to work use both the gcc and gfortran from fink.  You can
also try using g95 instead of gfortran, and making certain you have the
environment defined for that.  Or you can get the gfortran from R, which will
work with the Apple gcc, but again make certain all the configure options are
defined to use the correct compilers.

HTH,

-Roy

On Mar 3, 2010, at 5:17 AM, Jenny Not wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble installing/using NetCDF, and having looked at the website
> I hope I've picked the right mailing list. Sorry if I'm sending this in error.
>
> I have a macbook pro and I'm new to compiling. I am trying to install NetCDF
> to use with a modelling program called FVCOM, which I also have to compile. I
> had compiled fvcom fine but then realised I needed NetCDF libraries
> installed. On my first attempt to install NetCDF, 'configure' produced this
> error:
>
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"...
> configure: error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o
>

>  and after searching online found that they suggested using this line of code
> instead, if you didn't need fortran installed.
>
> FC= ./configure
>
> as I have already got gfortran installed I thought that would be ok. It
> seemed to work, as after this was typed it compiled and installed fine.
> However, when I tried to compile FVCOM while linking to these libraries, it
> came up with this error:
>
> Can't open module file 'netcdf.mod' for reading at (1): No such file or
> directory
>
> And there is indeed no netcdf.mod file in the 'include' directory. I'm not
> sure where to go from here... as it seems to be a NetCDF issue at this point
> I thought here was the best place. I read in an archive something about
> telling NetCDF about the existing gfortran libraries when it configures - but
> I have no idea how to do that. Does anybody know how I fix this?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jenny

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst