Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF 4.1-beta and OPeNDAP/coordinate variable question

  • To: Dennis Heimbigner <dmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF 4.1-beta and OPeNDAP/coordinate variable question
  • From: Mary Haley <haley@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:44:46 -0700

On Feb 1, 2010, at 3:01 PM, Dennis Heimbigner wrote:

This seems to be setting "--enable-dap" internally, which is what I want.
That is correct; it is on by default.

For example, if I do an "ncdump -h" on both the "served" file, and a downloaded version of the file, I get the following:
When you say "downloaded version; how are you downloading it?

I downloaded the file by:

 - going to

      http://test.opendap.org/opendap/data/nc/

 - clicking on "123.nc"

 - clicking on the "Get as NetCDF" button at the top.

This saves it to my local disk (as "123.nc.nc", for some reason).

It is this file that has the "integer i" and "float j" coordinate arrays.

I don't know if this file and the one referenced by http:// test.opendap.org/opendap/data/nc/123.nc
are one and the same, but I would be surprised if they weren't.

In any case, this is, I believe, consistent with the behavior
of the original nc-dap C++ code, namely that map variables are not
included in the output.

What do you mean by "map" variables? Is this another term for coordinate arrays?
I thought NetCDF treated coordinate arrays as regular arrays on a file?

I think I've run this test in the past and was getting coordinate variables to show up using the old OPeNDAP software, but I can't prove this.

Has anybody else out there had experience with older versions of OPeNDAP and coordinate vars?

--Mary

Originally, I did include them, but there were
objections because this behavior was different from the nc-dap version.

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

e at the same, but I would be surprised if they weren't.

--Mary