Re: [netcdfgroup] netcdf4 -problems

Henry Butowsky <henryb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi all,
> Not sure if this a bug or a feature in netcdf4 (hdf5 files)
>     After my script has written variables to output I then add  the
> attributes:
>
>     With the following code executed in define mode
>
> (void)nco_put_att(out_id,var_id,"_FillValue",var_ref->type,1,var_ref->mss_val.vp);
>

>      I get the the error message:
>
>      nco_err_exit(): ERROR Error code is -122. Translation into English with
> nc_strerror(-122) is "Attempt to define fill   value when data already
> exists."
>
>     Regards Henry

This is a new feature! ;-)

Fill values must be defined before any data are written to a
variable. They cannot be changed after some data have been written.

This makes sense but is not the case with classic netcdf. You can go
around changing fill values to your heart's content!

But not with netCDF-4 files...

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx