Re: Are There Best Practices for Developing New NetCDF Conventions?

  • Subject: Re: Are There Best Practices for Developing New NetCDF Conventions?
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:03:08 -0600

Russ Rew wrote:

So we are wondering what the netCDF conventions community thinks
about these considerations, and any advice or experience they may
offer us on how to add our own attributes to a netCDF file in a
coherent way that is harmonious with other, existing conventions.

For now I would recommend simple prefixes as part of the attribute
name in new conventions comprehensive enough that name clashes with
existing conventions are likely.

should be "unlikely".

I could see mimicking XML namespaces somewhat, by adding a prefix to attribute names, but
what should the seperator charactor be? Unfortunately the ":" wont work, since
right now in CDL syntax we have:

 char time(record=63, time_len=21);
    time:long_name = "forecast date and time";

suppose you want to add an attribute "title" and indicate its in the "Dublin
Core" namespace. Possible examples:

 char time(record=63, time_len=21);
   time:long_name = "forecast date and time";
   time:dc_title = "forecast date and time";

 char time(record=63, time_len=21);
    time:long_name = "forecast date and time";
    time:dc/title = "forecast date and time";

 char time(record=63, time_len=21);
    time:long_name = "forecast date and time";
    time:dc#title = "forecast date and time";

 char time(record=63, time_len=21);
    time:long_name = "forecast date and time";
    time:dc@title = "forecast date and time";

etc. At the moment the "/" seems the most natural with less possible conflicts.

this would just be a convention, but we could start a "namespace" convention
page, to minimize conflicts, just listing them:

Prefix   Convention       XML namespace                         Owner
dc        Dublin Core      "http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";  Dublin Core
Initiative
thredds  THREDDS           "http://unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/";  Unidata