Re: Are There Best Practices for Developing New NetCDF Conventions?

Mark et al.-
We at NCDC are working on a similar issue. Specifically, we're looking
at how best to store satellite data by writing a new convention that
extends CF for some satellite specific issues. The metadata
content/attributes is an excellent example of what needs to decided.
IMO, I recommend a naming convention similar to that used by Unidata for
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/DataDiscoveryAttConvention.html
be used. Unidata made an attempt to show how the metadata can be mapped
to other standards at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/ncACDD-metadataMappings.html

In short, what could be done is
a) Data producers provide data in netCDF files following some convention
(CF, ...)
b) Producers provide metadata following a "generic" Metadata Convention
(e.g., specified using global attribute "Metadata_Conventions") .
c) Metadata harvesters can then build algorithms to search for and map
the generic metadata to their preferred convention (e.g., FGDC)

Perhaps a standard metadata naming convention could be developed
(similar to the standard_names in CF) which is a "lowest common
denominator" of the existing conventions? Of course the downside to this
is that it produces another metadata convention...
Or perhaps each standard (FGDC, ISO19115, ...) could have its own list
of netCDF attributes.
Also, NCML could also be used to provide mapping and attribute renaming
from one convention to another.
Additionally, with respect FGDC information, it would good to provide
only dynamic metadata in the netCDF file and provide static metadata
through a link/URL.

These aren't answers, just more ideas.
-Ken

p.s. As a post-script/appendix, I am attaching a portion of our strawman
(which is still being developed mind you ;-) CF-Satellite convention [an
extension of the CF convention to archive satellite data]