Re: overcoming netcdf3 limits

robl@xxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Latham) writes:

> Hi
>
> Over in Parallel-NetCDF land we're running into users who find even
> the CDF-2 file format limitations, well, limiting.
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf/NetCDF-64-bit-Offset-Format-Limitations.html
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Large%20File%20Support10
>
> If we worked up a CDF-3 file format for parallel-netcdf (off the top
> of my head, maybe a 64 bit integer instead of an unsigned 32 bit
> integer could be used to describe variables), would the serial netcdf
> folks be interested, or are you looking to the new netcdf-4 format to
> take care of these limits?
>
> Thanks
> ==rob

Howdy Rob!

Your email has generated a lot of discussion here, and we are
formulating our response.

However, another question: have you considered using netCDF-4? It does
not have the limits of the 64-bit offset format, and support parallel
I/O, as well as a number of other features (groups, compound data
types) which might be helpful in organizing really large data sets.

Since it uses the netcdf-3 API (with some extensions) it should be
possible to easily convert code to use netCDF-4...

Thanks,

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx