Re: Problem with GridDataset

ncdump will dump any valid netcdf file.

A GridDataset must have a coordinate system recognized by the Netcdf Java
library, for example, by being a valid CF or COARDS file. This can be a subtle
problem to diagnose, it can depend on global attributes, etc. Did the original
file have Grids in it?

You could try running it through here:

 http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/cdmValidate.html

and see if the results are helpful.

Or look at it in the ToolsUI program (coordinate system Tab) and see what the
INFO button tells you.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf-java/v2.2/webstart/index.html0

Brian Etheridge wrote:
Hi,
I am using the NetCDF data format and utility library (netcdfUI-2.2.16.jar) to transfer weather data across the web and to render a weather map image in a web page. I have an application which can render the data correctly, however, certain data extracts are failing when I try to use a*** ucar.nc2.dataset.grid.GridDataset. * Here's the code:

NetcdfDataset nc = NetcdfDataset.openDataset(location);
GridDataset gd = new GridDataset(nc);
Iterator it = gd.getGrids().iterator();
while (it.hasNext()) { GeoGrid gg = (GeoGrid)it.next();
        etc…
}

The problem is that there are are no GeoGrids available in the GridDataset, so the code does go into the iteration, and there should be.

This problem could be the result of the way I am constructing the NetCDF file because there is a complex subset and reduction mechanism being used to extract a portion of the original NetCDF data provided by the UK Meteorological Office. Thus, I am quite confident that the original NetCDF file is correct.

I am able to render the NetCDF data in both ncdump and ncbrowse and it looks ok.

What could be missing in the NetCDF file which would allow it to look ok in ncdump and ncbrowse but that would prevent GeoGrids being produced from a GridDataset of the same data?

Any assistance most gratefully received.

Thanks
Brian