Re: make install on beta 4

On Thursday 14 December 2006 07:56, Hanson, Kurt wrote:
> * Locations in *nix filesystems are given by the FHS
> (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/).

I don't think you directly responded to my question, but since you brought
this topic up, I want to weigh in on it. As to the above statement, FHS
reserves the /usr/share/info directory for info pages. The configure script
for netcdf includes the "--infodir" option, but setting it seems to not
affect the placement of the info files. Also, the FHS reserves /usr/share/doc
for miscellaneous docs. This is where all of that stuff should go by default
when prefix is set to "/usr." I think a few changes do need to be made to the
configure script to support FHS better. First of, the info pages should
respect the infodir setting. The miscellaneous docs should be installed into
${datadir}/doc by default.

BTW, I do agree that documentation should be turned on by default.

wt
--
Warren Turkal